Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos Recipe


This is a DELICIOUS recipe for "Mexican" night. I can't take any credit for creating it - I got the recipe from my aunt and it is a hit at our house.

Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos

INGREDIENTS:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (1 package of cream cheese)
3/4 cup salsa 
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 cloves garlic, minced OR 2 tsp garlic powder
4 green onions sliced
6 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
4-5 cups shredded cooked chicken (approx. 4 chicken breasts)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
approx. 8-10 tortillas
salt
cooking spray

DIRECTIONS:
1. Boil chicken in water. Once cooked thoroughly shred the chicken with forks, or cut into small pieces.

2. Mix cream cheese, salsa, lime juice and spices. (I don't like "chunks" in my salsa, so I put the cream cheese and salsa into the blender and blend it together - super yummy!) Once combined stir in cilantro and green onions. (I don't usually have either in the house so I don't usually use these). Add the chicken and cheese and mix together. 
**This mixture can be refrigerated or frozen at this point for later use. The last time I made it I froze half of the mixture in a freezer bag and used it a couple of weeks later.

3. Spoon 3 - 4 tbsp of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of each tortilla. (don't put the mixture in the middle of the tortilla as it makes it difficult to roll up). Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can and place it seam side down onto the baking sheet. You don't want the taquitos to touch each other.
**To freeze the taquitos: before baking, chill the taquitos on a baking sheet in the fridge. Once completely cooled, wrap each individually with plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag and freeze. This makes a great lunch or quick meal.

4. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. (they taste good with or without the salt).

5. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and brown and chicken mixture is bubbling.

6. Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole. (I prefer dipping them in sour cream).



No comments:

Post a Comment